Saturday, July 24, 2010

Spaghetti and meatballs

OK--I know what you're thinking--not the healthiest meal tonight. Actually, it is pretty easy to make this old standard lighter. I consider spaghetti and meatballs to be a theme with variations, but since I make it pretty often I will not attempt to elaborate all the variations here, but I will mention the "easy" and "slightly less easy" versions of our dinner tonight. "Spaghetti & meatballs" tends to be my "I need to cook but I don't feel like cooking" menu. What is funny about that is that my boys jump up and down and dance around when I tell them that is what we are having! There are endless permutations of noodles, meat, and sauce so here is one to try

Noodles: Whole wheat spaghetti noodles are our favorite. But, honestly, I just use whatever pasta I have in the pantry--sometimes penne or bowtie (butterfly noodles, as they are called by the Atkinson boys!) I do tend to buy whole wheat pasta--if you are used to the white variety, it can be an adjustment, but an adjustment worth making if you really like to eat pasta often. I don't have a medical study to back this up, but I am pretty sure that all cellulite is made from pasta! So either stop eating it, or figure out a way to eat it healthier. Also, let your kids eat as much as they want, but if you are trying to lose weight, then measure out a smaller portion for yourself. Most weight loss plans recommend about a quarter cup! What the what?! OK, I will admit, I eat a little more than that, but I do make a conscious effort to have about half of what I would like to have.

Sauce: Super easy sauce = jar! I like Newman's Own Marinara, although tonight we had some off-brand "organic" tomato-basil. Just to be clear, if you add anything to the sauce from the jar, you completely redeem yourself! I usually add a little more basil (fresh, if I have it handy) or Italian seasoning and then pour a little red wine in the jar, put the lid back on, and shake it up to get all the sauce out of the jar. Then just heat it up on the stove. Really easy and tastes just fine.
Slightly less easy sauce = sauteed onion and garlic in olive oil, canned crushed tomatoes, red wine, fresh basil (about 20 leaves)--very light and tasty and really only slightly more difficult than canned spaghetti sauce.

Meatballs: I don't know why I used to be very intimidated by meatballs. I actually don't remember eating meatballs at all until I rented a room from an Italian lady for a month during an away-rotation in medical school. She was really sweet, and she would leave leftovers on the stove for me --that was the first time I had meatballs. They were fabulous, and certainly not healthy by any standard! I started making meatballs when I started using Rachel Ray's 30-minute meals. She has several good meatball recipes that I have adapted.

Tonight we had Turkey Sausage Meatballs
  • 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
  • 3 cloves garlic--minced or crushed
  • Parmesan cheese (about a quarter cup)
  • salt and pepper
  • fresh parsley or a little dried parsley
Stir it all together in a bowl--divide into 4 pieces with your spoon and then make 4 small meatballs out of each piece. Form into ball with your hands (yes, a little gross, but just wash your hands well with anti-bacterial soap when you are done). Place meatballs on a baking sheet (spray with cooking spray first). Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Serve meatballs over pasta with sauce.

These meatballs calculate to about 55 calories per meatball. 3 meatballs with a reasonable serving of whole wheat pasta and sauce for less than 300 calories--not bad!



1 comment:

  1. Perfect! Another educational and entertaining blog! You Da Woman! Thanks so much. Love you.

    ReplyDelete