Monday, November 1, 2010

Fall Comfort Food: Grilled Ham and cheese and Cream of Pimiento Soup

I had a sweet friend ask me this week why I had stopped blogging--well, Halloween costumes got in the way. So, now that that is over, I have time to cook and blog again! Here is another family favorite. This recipe came from a Southern Living Holiday magazine from 2002. I have to make it when the weather starts to get a little cool. This is one of Nathan's favorites.

Cream of Pimiento Soup

I know this sounds a little strange, but trust me, this is so delicious that I want to drink it!

  • 1 (7 0z) jar diced pimientos, drained
  • 1/4 cup butter (half stick, but you can get by with half this amount depending on how good or bad you want to be!)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 3 oz softened cream cheese ( I always use the weight watchers brand or neufchatel cheese with 1/3 less fat, but not the fat free)
  • 1 (4 oz) jar diced pimiento, drained
  • 2 green onions chopped finely
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
Process the 7 oz jar of pimientos in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides.

Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour, whisk in cooking for 1 minute. Then add the milk and broth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly. Then add the cream cheese and pureed pimientos and stir until smooth.

Then add the 4 oz jar of pimientos, the green onions, salt and red pepper and cook over medium low heat until heated through.


Grilled Ham-and-Cheese Sandwiches

  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar Monterrey Jack cheese blend
  • 3 oz softened cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup mayonaise (I use Miracle Whip and I just use a large spoonful)
  • 2 green onions diced
Stir together these ingredients and spread 1/4 of mixture on 4 slices of bread. Top each slice with 2 slices of ham and another piece of bread to make a sandwich. Then spread softened butter on the sandwiches and grill on both sides until brown.

Serve the sandwiches with the soup for the perfect dinner on a cool night. This is not exactly low fat, but use skim milk and wheat bread and low fat cream cheese and you won't feel too bad about it! Yum!

    2 comments:

    1. yummmmmmmm! That soup sounds fabulous!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Once upon a time, I knew this girl who blogged about cooking for her family. And then she stopped several months ago.

      I wonder whatever happened to her. (wink!)

      ReplyDelete